Thursday, September 25, 2008

Squirrel Scare!!!

Squirrel Scare!! if you listen carefully amongst the brown, yellow, and orange fallen leaves, you can hear the patter of little feet. You can see a furry little critter with a bushy tail hopping along as if he...or is it a she..were looking for some goodies. Don't be alarmed because these cute furry creatures are just squirrels. Don't think you've gone nuts if they approach you for a treat. Beware..they do bite if you try to rub their tummies. I've overheard more conversations lately regarding these little creatures destroying property.They like to build nests in attics, chew on wood and anything that looks appetizing.I suppose this attributes to why people call them "pests." My parents had squirrels in their attic one time. You know what "skeered' those critters away..moth balls. Don't pay an Environmental Control company. to get rid of them....just visit a local Wally World and purchase moth balls. "Breakfast is ready," my father yelled. He thought I was still asleep but I wasn't. Instead, I was dreading eating that morning. Daddy had been hunting the day before. Slowly, I walked into the kitchen, gazed at the table and the tears began to flow. I told my father that he was a mean man because he had killed some squirrels and they wanted to live and have fun like he did. As time passed, my father stopped hunting and killing little creatures. I wonder if going to church had anything to do with his change of attitude about hunting and killing animals. He didn't attend church when I was a young child . In my teen years, we opened and closed the doors to our small place of worship. As for moi, I truly enjoy squirrel watching as much as I do bird watching.They may be a rodent to some of you but to me their cute ..squirrelicious..and I "ain't nutz."

No comments: